Most may know him as one of the pioneers of Oasis — purveyors of enduring hits Don’t Look Back In Anger and Wonderwall — but Noel Gallagher is adamant that those days are firmly behind him, not least because of his longstanding feud with his brother Liam.
The British musician is far from done with music though, announcing on April 29 that Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds are releasing their very first greatest hits album and a brand new song to celebrate.
Back The Way We Came: Vol. 1 (2011 – 2021) will be a definitive compilation of Gallagher’s solo career (the High Flying Birds are his band) encapsulating his 2011 debut album, its 2015 follow-up, Chasing Yesterday, 2017’s Who Built The Moon? and more.
In honour of the greatest hits project, Gallagher and his bandmates have dropped a fresh new single titled We’re On Our Way Now — one of two new tracks to appear on the record which features 18 tracks in total.
Back The Way We Came: Vol. 1 (2011 – 2021) will also include limited-edition deluxe formats with a bonus disc including unreleased material, acoustic versions, remixes and more.
Referring to the news on Instagram, Gallagher said, “10 years of The High Flying Birds?? Blimey! … just think of all the things I COULD have done in that time!!
“The title just came to me one afternoon, at the kitchen table. It’s a saying isn’t it: ‘back the way we came’. I actually thought it was a great title. Which is why it’s got Vol 1. Because if there’s another one, I’m not coming up with another title!”
The tracklisting for Back The Way We Came also features songs from Noel’s three EPs, Black Star Dancing, This Is The PlaceandBlue Moon Rising. Check out the artwork and tracklisting below.
1. Everybody’s On The Run
2. The Death Of You And Me
3. AKA … What A Life!
4. If I Had A Gun …
5. In The Heat Of The Moment
7. Lock All The Doors
8. The Dying Of The Light
9. Ballad Of The Mighty I
10. We’re On Our Way Now
1. Black Star Dancing
2. Holy Mountain (Remastered)
3. A Dream Is All I Need To Get By
4. This Is The Place
5. It’s A Beautiful World
6. Blue Moon Rising
7. Dead In The Water (Live At RTÉ 2FM Studios, Dublin)
8. Flying On The Ground
1. It’s A Beautiful World (Instrumental)
2. If I Had A Gun … (Acoustic Version)
3. Black Star Dancing (Skeleton Key Remix)
4. Black Star Dancing (12” Mix Instrumental)
5. The Man Who Built The Moon (Acoustic Version)
6. International Magic (Demo)
7. Blue Moon Rising (Sons Of The Desert Remix)
8. The Dying Of The Light (Acoustic Version)
9. This Is The Place (Skeleton Key Remix)
10. This Is The Place (Instrumental)
11. Black Star Dancing (The Reflex Revision)
12. Be Careful What You Wish For (Instrumental)