Since publishing this story, Network Ten has announced the death of MasterChef Australia judge Jock Zonfrillo on April 30, 2023. MasterChef Australia Secrets and Surprises will now premiere on Sunday, May 7, with the full support of Zonfrillo’s family.
MasterChef Australia: Secrets and Surprises is finally here, which means one thing: It’s time to get to know all the new faces who are set to compete on MasterChef Australia 2023.
Alice Han is a 29-year-old economic researcher from New South Wales. Now, she’s ready to make waves as one of the MasterChef Australia 2023 contestants.
Alice Han’s Background
Long before Alice became one of the MasterChef Australia 2023 cast members, she grew up with a unique blend of language, culture, and food that has enriched her life.
Alice was born and raised in Sydney to Chinese parents who emigrated from Shanghai. Over the years, she’s maintained a deep connection to her culture, although she notes that code-switching between her two worlds hasn’t always been easy.
Alice is a gifted academic, and she’s got the with an impressive record to show for it.
She earned a bachelor’s degree in history and economics from Harvard University and a Master of Arts in East Asian Studies from Stanford University.
Before she joined the Masterchef Australia 2023 cast, Alice was working as the Director of China Research for a macroeconomic and geopolitical risk advisory firm, and her work has been published in prestigious publications such as the Wall Street Journal.
If that wasn’t impressive enough, Alice is also fluent in four languages: English, Mandarin, French, and German.
View this post on Instagram
Follow Alice on Instagram here.
Alice’s Relationship to Cooking
While Alice was studying at Harvard, she began recreating her mother’s exceptional Shanghainese cuisine to feel closer to home. To this day, she continues to be inspired by her mother in the kitchen.
Alice views food as a means of connecting with people, tradition, culture, and community. She enjoys exploring traditional dishes while adding her own modern and fusion flair, spanning both sweet and savoury cuisines from Chinese, French, and Italian cuisine.
Alice enjoys the challenge of balancing the cerebral and creative elements of cooking, and draws inspiration from a diverse range of food idols. Some of her favourites are Fuschia Dunlop, Nigella Lawson, Peruvian chef and scientist siblings Virgillo and Malena Martinez, and French bakers Pierre and Lionel Poilâne.
Alice’s Hobbies and Skills
She is also an accomplished pianist and singer and loves to travel.
Alice has long-held dreams of entering the culinary field as a cook, writer, and entrepreneur.
One day, Alice is hoping to curate a food history cookbook and create documentaries, as well as starting her own café “salon” where people can exchange ideas while enjoying pastries and coffee.
MasterChef Australia: Secrets and Surprises premieres Sunday, May 7 at 7.30pm, only on 10 and 10 Play on Demand.
Want more MasterChef Australia? Read all our content here, and check out the stories below:
- The Heat Is on: ‘MasterChef Australia 2023’ Brings Both Flavour and Drama
- Get Ready to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth with ‘MasterChef: Dessert Masters’
- Introducing the ‘MasterChef Australia: Secrets and Surprises’ Top 18
- The Secrets and Surprises Are About to Begin on ‘MasterChef Australia’ 2023
- ‘MasterChef Australia’ 2023: Adi Is a Doctor Who Combines Science and Cooking
- Amy Grew Up Watching ‘MasterChef Australia’, and Now She’s Ready to Win It
- Andrea Is Ready to Push His Skills to the Limit on ‘MasterChef Australia’ 2023
- Antonio Is a Software Developer Who’s Ready to Win ‘MasterChef Australia’ 2023
- Brent Is Back for ‘MasterChef Australia’ 2023, and He Wants to Inspire Others
- Cath Is Ready to Make Her Culinary Dreams Come True on ‘MasterChef’
- Jessica Is an Optometrist Who Sees Herself Winning ‘MasterChef’ 2023
- Declan Is a Carpenter Who’s Ready to Get His Hands Dirty on ‘MasterChef Australia’
- Grace Refuses to Let Endometriosis Get In Her Way on ‘MasterChef’ 2023
- Larissa Is Ready to Take on the ‘MasterChef’ 2023 Kitchen
- Malissa Is Ready for Her Once-In-a-Lifetime ‘MasterChef’ Experience
- Phil Is Ready to Bring His A-Game to ‘MasterChef’
- Ralph Is Bringing His Passion for Food and Family to ‘MasterChef’
- Rhiannon Is Ready to Follow Her Dreams on ‘MasterChef’
- Robbie Is Bringing Aboriginal Asian Fusion to ‘MasterChef’
- Rue Has Her Eyes on the Prize on ‘MasterChef’
- Theo Is an Electrician Who Plans to Show His Spark on ‘MasterChef’
- “Deeply Shocked and Saddened” — ‘MasterChef Australia’ Judge Jock Zonfrillo Has Died Aged 46