It was the good news we so desperately needed in 2020: Australia and New Zealand have won the bid for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino announced the news on early Friday morning, revealing that Colombia’s rival bid had been beaten by 22 votes to 13, as reported by the ABC.
“The technical report will have to be taken into account as an important element in order to assess the decision. It was not the case in the old FIFA, it is the case in the new FIFA and I am proud of that,” Infantino said.
“I am sure we will have the best World Cup ever, in Australia and New Zealand.”
This is a massive step for women’s soccer in Australia and New Zealand, with this being the first FIFA Women’s World Cup to be held in the Asia-Pacific region.
Even if you’re not a soccer fan, the footage of the Matildas players and officials hearing the good news is enough to make you feel invested.
The games will be played in venues across Australia, including Sydney Football Stadium and ANZ Stadium in Sydney, Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide, AAMI Park in Melbourne, Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle and York Park in Launceston, as reported by the Sydney Morning Herald.
The New Zealand venues include Eden Park in Auckland, Wellington Regional Stadium Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin, Waikato Stadium and Christchurch Stadium.
According to SMH, the opening ceremony and match will most likely be held at Eden Park in Auckland, while Australia will host the final match at ANZ Stadium.
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern issued a joint statement celebrating the news for their two countries.
“This is a huge positive for the footballing and sporting industries on both sides of the Tasman as we recover and rebuild from COVID-19,” the statement said.
“The 2023 event will be the largest, and no doubt the best, Women’s World Cup that has ever been staged.”