In the spirit of Big Little Lies, The Secrets She Keeps and Nine Perfect Strangers, One Night is the latest limited series to have us hooked. What can we say? We just can’t get enough of women, their complex friendships, and their secrets. And equally, we can’t get enough of these moody, coastal mysteries. But that brings us to the question of the day: Where was One Night filmed? Thankfully, that’s one mystery we have an answer for.
For the unfamiliar, One Night follows the story of three women whose bond nearly broke after the traumatic events of (you guessed it) one night 20 years prior. In the present day, Simone (Nicole da Silva) dreams of becoming an author, and makes her dreams a reality when she finally writes the one story she could never move past. But when her novel becomes an overnight hit, her childhood best friends, Tess (Jodie Whittaker) and Hat (Yael Stone), aren’t thrilled.
Soon, the book brings long-simmering tensions to the surface as the trio struggle to separate fact from fiction, and face their shared history together.
Where Was One Night Filmed?
To create the small coastal community depicted in One Night, the series was primarily filmed on the South Coast of New South Wales. One of the main locations was Thirroul, which is a northern seaside suburb roughly 13 kilometres north of Wollongong.
Thirroul is all about getting outdoors. Thirroul Beach will be calling your name, and when you’re done taking a dip, you can wander down the picturesque, palm tree-lined streets as you browse the local shops. Hungry? There are plenty of options, as well as grassy picnic areas where you can keep the good vibes going.
Immediately north of Thirroul is Austinmer, which was also one of the main filming locations of One Night. Another seaside village, Austinmer Beach is popular with tourists. Meanwhile, Austinmer also has a smaller beach, appropriately called Little Austinmer Beach — although the locals call it “dog beach”, as you can let your dog off its leash there.
With a surf club, park, and large rock pools, Austinmer is roughly 20 minutes outside of Wollongong‘s CBD, and well worth the trip.
One of the suburb’s main attractions is the Sea Cliff Bridge, which opened in 2005. The bridge is 665 metres long, and offers picturesque coastal views as you cruise down it. It’s also a great place to stop and take in the sights, and if it’s migrating season, you might even spot some whales.
While most of One Night was filmed on the NSW South Coast, they also shot some scenes in Sydney. Primarily, these are the scenes where Simone goes to visit her publisher, and when she hosts her book launch.
One Night is streaming now on Paramount+.
Want more entertainment news? Click here to read all our content, and check out the stories below:
- Hollywood Is Currently on Strike, Will the UK Follow Suit?
- And Just Like That’s Season 2 Filming Locations
- ‘Fast X’ Is the Perfect Reminder That It’s Time for a Best Stunts Oscar
- The 2007 Writers Strike Changed Everything. Will the 2023 One Do the Same?
- “An Extraordinary Blessing”: Greta Gerwig on the ‘Barbie’ Movie Hype
- James Marsden Is Up For a ‘Jury Duty’ Emmy — Here’s Why He Deserves It
- How Hayley Atwell Developed Her ‘Mission: Impossible’ Character As They Went
- Will Christopher Nolan Hit Another Home Run? What We Know About ‘Oppenheimer’
- ‘Mission: Impossible’: Simon Pegg and Pom Klementieff on What Sets ‘Dead Reckoning’ Apart
- Anna Konkle on Her “Strange, Stilted, Alien” Character in ‘The Afterparty’ Season 2
- Get Ready For Some Local Mysteries — ‘NCIS: Sydney’ Is Coming