The Oscars Menu Will Be (Almost) Plant-Based in 2020


While there’s reportedly no food served during the Academy Awards themselves (bring snacks, Hollywood), it’s been announced the Oscars Governors Ball, the official afterparty of the awards show, will be serving up a menu with plenty of plant-based offerings — although unlike other awards ceremonies that have taken place in 2020 so far, this menu will not be entirely vegan.

Wolfgang Puck Catering, the company that has catered the Oscars for the past 25 years, announced the Oscars Governors Ball will serve up 70% plant-based foods, while the remaining 30% will include fish and meat.

The pre-awards catering in the Dolby Theatre lobbies, however, will be entirely vegan.

In a statement the Academy said:

“The Academy is an organization of storytellers from around the world, and we owe our global membership a commitment to supporting the planet. For the past decade, the Academy has been committed to reducing its carbon footprint.

“We continue to expand our sustainability plan with the ultimate goal of becoming carbon neutral.”

It’s not yet been revealed exactly what culinary delights the Oscars attendees will be treated to on Sunday, February 9, but if the plant-based menu served up at the Oscar Nominees Luncheon on January 27 is anything to go by, then guests will surely be in for a treat.

Nominees that included the likes of Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Charlize Theron and Renée Zellweger gathered to celebrate their nominations and dined on vegan cheese, roasted maitake mushroom and tangerine yuzu pâté.

There has been an increased interest around awards show menus this year after a number of events made the decision to cut out meat or animal products entirely.

Back in January, the Golden Globes announced it would be serving a vegan three-course meal for the first time in the show’s 77-year history. The Critics Choice Awards were quick to follow, and shortly thereafter the Screen Actors Guild Awards opted for a plant-based menu.

Read this next: All The Movies To Watch Ahead Of The Oscars