Following producer Charlie Hanson’s removal from Netflix dark comedy After Life, series creator Ricky Gervais has spoken out about the sexual misconduct allegations levelled against his longtime collaborator.
“I am shocked and appalled to learn of the historical allegations made by a number of women against Charlie Hanson,” Gervais said in a statement. “The decision was made to immediately remove him from production and I am confident the matter is being handled thoroughly.”
According to a report published in UK paper The Times, Hanson has been accused of sexual misconduct by 11 women, with two of the alleged victims outlining his transgressions in an anonymous email sent to BAFTA and Netflix claiming, “At times he will promise them a starry career under his wing, and then exploits that trust in creepy and illegal ways.”
A representative from Netflix said in a statement that they had been made aware of the allegations against Hanson and “immediately removed him from the production and referred the matter to the police.”
Another of Gervais’ frequent collaborators — Stephen Merchant — who also worked with Hanson on Extras and Life’s Too Short, said. “Having worked with Charlie Hanson in the past, I am deeply shocked and disturbed to discover allegations have been made against him by multiple women.”
According to a Tweet posted by Times reporter Sophie Wilkinson, “One woman alleges an incident in 2008 where Hanson had sex with her without her consent in a house she did not recognise. Another woman alleges an incident in 2015 where Hanson ‘persisted in sexual contact’ despite her state of semi-consciousness.”
One woman alleges an incident in 2008 where Hanson had sex with her without her consent in a house she did not recognise. Another woman alleges an incident in 2015 where Hanson “persisted in sexual contact” despite her state of semi-consciousness.
— Sophie Wilkinson (@sophwilkinson) May 28, 2021
Hanson’s BAFTA membership has also been suspended, with a spokesperson saying in a statement, “We have been presented with a number of very serious detailed allegations about an individual and while we are not their employer we immediately took the decision to suspend their membership.”
“BAFTA is an arts charity and does not have the power to investigate historic claims of abuse therefore we have referred the matter to the police. The behaviour that these accounts allege is abhorrent, in complete opposition to BAFTA values and has no place in our industry.”
Hanson has denied the allegations.
This story is evolving.