Update: August 13, 2020
Over the past few weeks, beauty lovers have been able to cast their vote in the annual MECCA Beauty Election in order to highlight the best of the best in the beauty world. Voting officially closed on August 6 and the results of the election are in.
Over 90,000 beauty enthusiast cast over 1.3 million unique votes in the election, with the skincare categories attracting the highest number of votes with 1.07 million collectively.
Of the many discoveries made, MECCA found that consumers are looking for more honest and relatable recommendations when it comes to beauty products and a deeper sense of community connection, especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
While skincare proved to be extremely popular, there was still much interest in makeup. The cult NARS Orgasm Blush received the most unique votes with over 32,000 nominations by 51% of voters to take out the Best Blush category. It also received the most number of votes in every state and NZ — except for the ACT where the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation had the most noms.
NARS actually had the most votes in the entire election with over 105,000 votes cast for six nominated products, followed up by Mecca Cosmetica in second place with over 59,000 votes across five categories.
Mecca Cosmetica’s To Save Face SPF50+ Superscreen and Go-To’s Face Hero were the only products to win in two different categories, with Mecca Cosmetica taking out the Hall of Fame and Instagram People’s Choice categories. Go-To’s Face Hero took out the awards for Best for Winter Skin and Chit Chatter’s Choice.
The winners of the MECCA Beauty Election 2020 are:
- Best Newcomer: The Future Beauty Icon – Too Faced Born This Way Eyeshadow Palette
- Hall of Fame: The One for the History Books – Mecca Cosmetica To Save Face SPF50+ Superscreen
- Best Innovator: The Beauty Game Changer – Urban Decay All Nighter Ultra Matte Setting Spray
- Best Moisturiser: The Great Hydrators – Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream
- Best Mascara: The Great Lash Effect – Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara
- Best Base: The Strong Foundations – NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
- Best for Body: The Body Lovers – Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream
- Best Cleanser: The Clean Queens – Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Cleanser
- Best Blush: The Peak of Cheeks – NARS Orgasm Blush
- Best for Brows: For the Brow of Now – HOURGLASS Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil
- Best for Winter Skin: The Skincare Saviours – Go-To Face Hero
- Best for Lips: The Lips of Legends – M.A.C Cosmetics Lipstick in Velvet Teddy
- Best for Hair: The Haircare Heroes – ghd IV Styler
- Best for Acne: The Blemish Busters – Mario Badescu Drying Lotion
- Best Tanner: The Glow Getters – Mecca Cosmetica Self Tan Drops
- Best Perfume: The Scents of Success – Byredo Rose of No Man’s Land EDP
- Best Serum: The Potent Skin Potions – Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum
- Best Investment: The Big-Ticket Beauty – La Mer Crème de la Mer
- Best On-The-Go: Swipe and Go Beauty – Stila Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadow
- Best Eye Cream: The Bright and the Beautiful – Origins GinZing Refreshing Eyecream
- Best Makeup Extender: The Best (Makeup) Supporting Act – Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder
- Chit Chatter’s Choice – Go-To Face Hero
- Instagram People’s Choice – Mecca Cosmetica To Save Face SPF50+ Superscreen
The MECCA team also voted for their faves and the winners are as follows…
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Moisturiser – Cosmetics27 Baume27
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Mascara – Chantecaille Faux Cils Mascara
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Base – Elis Faas Skin Veil Foundation
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Body – Le Labo Hand Pomade
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Lip – Kosas Wet Lip Oil Gloss
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Acne – Verso Blemish Fix
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Tanner – ELLE Effect The Tan
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Fragrance – Escentric Molecule 01
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Investment – Fornasetti Ortensia Candle
- MECCA Insider’s Edit: Swipe & Go – RMS Lip2Cheek
Did your favourite product make the cut?
Original: July 16, 2020
The MECCA Beauty Election is back for another year, giving you the opportunity to vote for your favourite beauty products in up to 21 different categories.
The Beauty Election is designed to discover and celebrate what products across makeup, skincare, fragrance and more that MECCA customers are obsessed with. And what products you use on repeat and will always recommend to your friends.
The number of categories you can vote in is determined by what level of beauty enthusiast you are. For example, it should only take ‘Beauty Browsers’ roughly two minutes to vote, while the ‘Definitely Devoted’ might need closer to four minutes. The ‘MECCA Maestro’ option allows you to vote in all categories and takes around six minutes.
Some of the categories in the MECCA Beauty Election include:
- Best Mascara: The Great Lash Effect
- Best Base: The Strong Foundations
- Best Cleanser: The Clean Queens
- Best For Acne: The Blemish Busters
- Best Beauty Investment: The Big Ticket Beauty
When you go to vote, you’ll be able to pick your favourite product out of the six finalists that have been shortlisted from MECCA’s bestsellers. When you submit your vote, you go into the running to win the grand prize, which sounds pretty damn exciting.
The winner of the grand prize will receive a personalised suitcase from The Daily Edited filled with a selection of MECCA Beauty Election 2020 winners and finalists. Not a bad beauty haul.
There are also four runner-up prizes in the form of MECCA Gift Card’s valued at $500.