Some good news for Sydney-based veterans and commemorators of ANZAC Day has emerged over the weekend — 10,000 veterans, and descendants of veterans, will be able to march in this year’s veterans march for ANZAC Day.
Additionally, up to 5,000 will be able to attend dawn services and marches throughout the rest of NSW.
As seen with the prior rules for ANZAC Day, this march was originally capped at 5,000. The government has now granted an exemption from COVID-19 restrictions — but not a full exemption. Originally, RSL NSW applied for a full exemption; this would’ve allowed an unlimited number of both participants and spectators to take part in the march.
President of RSL NSW, Ray James, said the group respected this refusal. He also said that all participants in the march will be required to check in to the event, and also comply with social distancing — many of the people walking are elderly, and more susceptible to COVID.
Free tickets for spectators wishing to attend the dawn service in Martin Place, in Sydney’s CBD, will be issued via the Department of Premier and Cabinet. These will be made available on the RSL NSW website, starting April 12.
Although numbers are limited, James has encouraged those not attending the aforementioned organised events to still pay their respects to veterans — by gathering at dawn on their driveways, balconies or in their loungerooms. This was how many people commemorated ANZAC day last year when COVID restrictions were more severe.
James also encouraged people to watch the ABC broadcast of the major services across Australia.
NSW residents will not get a public holiday in lieu as ANZAC Day falls on a Sunday this year, but some other states will.